www.rcracing.co.nz

Capital Model Racers Forums
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:35 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starter Box
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:08 am 
is not quite addicted.... yet

Greetings all, I have a gas car I bought second hand and have never had running. Purchased a starter box to remedy the situation but she was configured for a different layout of car. Ripped her down and re-assembled it with the starting wheel ( I presume this rubber wheel has a name of some sort?, feel free to let me know what the accepted lingo would be) in a more suitable spot.

I can now get the motor turning over but not to fire up, So, first question, Which way is that rubber wheel that sits in the starter box meant to spin?, I was thinking I maybe turning the engine in the wrong direction, Though perhaps it would start running in reverse if that was the case? I have attached a picture (I know what you maybe thinking but no, Its not an actual photo, Just an extremely cunning mock up :shock:) So should it be turning to the left(A) or the right(B)?

and now for the harder more open ended question?, How the hell do you start these things if they have been left for awhile and decide not to respond?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:49 pm 

Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

the starterbox should spin towards b

the engine turns over anti clockwise if you are looking at the flywheel end

as for starting, i dont really know. havent had to worry about it, im sure someone here should know

Post subject: Re: Starter Box
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:54 pm 
is beyond help

Righto, i'll give this a shot. Firstly, Ed is correct, the motor will run anti-clockwise.... try reversing the battery leads on starter box motor(s) to fix if this isnt the case ;)
Second - the glow starter has a battery - these go flat so it needs to be charged. (ok sucking eggs i know, but i will cover all bases here)
You will need to check that the glow plug is working, remove this from the motor and connect the glow starter, look at the end of the plug - careful to not burn your fingers - you should see the element glowing, this takes about 1-2 sec to glow orange - if its not or not all the way to the end of the plug you will need a new one. Glow plugs are a consumable in this hobby. You can remove the plug using a socket wrench if you dont have a plug spanner (8mm i think ?).
Assuming that the plug is ok, put the plug back into the engine and nip tight. Next is priming the engine - this means getting fuel to the carb, this can be achieved by a) blowing into the preasure line (disconnect the line from the top of the exhaust - blowing air into the top of the tank) or b)holding your finger over the pipe outlet while cranking the engine over on the starter box. You should be able to see fuel through the line get to the carb. Take the fuel line off the carb and prime the gas through if you need to - just hold it away from the inside of the car when you do this - else it goes everywhere.
Ok, now connect the glow starter onto the glow plug (you did charge it right) and press down on the starterbox. Theoretically this will then crank over the engine and all things being equal will fire into life. With the radio gear off you should be able to rev the engine by pulling on the end of the throttle arm... just dont overrev it with the wheels off the ground.
One thing i find useful is that once started, leave the glow starter on for 3-5 seconds until running and then open up the throttle.
Normally i make sure that the radio gear is on when starting this to save the throttle being "accidently" left wide open when it starts.

Make sure you are using suitable nitro buggy fuel, we have had some members recently having problems with low % nitro fuel - you should be using 20% or 25% nitro if you are new to this.

Hope this helps you out some
Duncan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:09 pm 

Much appreciated, Exactly the sort of info I was hoping to get.

Prior to posting I had made sure the glow plug was working so I can now start on the fuel/priming.

though I think the stuff I bought is 15%.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:14 pm 
is beyond help

Metla wrote:
Much appreciated, Exactly the sort of info I was hoping to get.

Prior to posting I had made sure the glow plug was working so I can now start on the fuel/priming.

though I think the stuff I bought is 15%.....

You "should" be ok with this - but i would go get some 25% if you can.
Given you dont know the "history" of the engine, you should take the first couple of tanks easy on the throttle - lots of variation in rev range and dont hold open fully - if you change fuel mixes, you often need to go through the "break in" process again - or at least for a tank or two

Good luck