www.rcracing.co.nz

Capital Model Racers Forums
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:34 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Servo problem
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:35 pm 
is not quite addicted.... yet

I seem to have many issues with servos so here we go again.

I got a Hitec Digital Servo second hand and have had my car all setup. Today I went to use the servo (for the first time) and I get no response from it. Occasionally it gives a slight twitch or a buzz but no turning (I am quite sure it isnt a loose connection or anything like that). I have tryed plugging a Capacitor into the reciever because I have had that problem before but that changes nothing now. Is my Sprectrum SR3000 reciever compatable with Digital servo's? Or is there something I have missed/done wrong?
I know the servo is working because when I turn the car on, it moves to its default position, its just when I try to turn that I get no response from it.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:55 pm 
has too much spare time

The Spectrum receiver works fine with Hitec digital servos as I used them with my cars without a problem in the past.

Are you sure the servo was working ok before you got it?

One of my old servos does not respond anymore but the gearing still looks fine, however it was about 3 years old and had done a bit of work.

Whats the model number of the servo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:13 pm 

5150 wrote:
Are you sure the servo was working ok before you got it?

Whats the model number of the servo?

Yeah, once I bought it a few weeks ago I got home and made sure it was working (and it was). The problem is only since I have swapped ESC's. I just tried a different servo with the new ESC and it is working fine so the Hitec one must be dead. The model number is HS-5925MG.

When I hook it back up to my old ESC I get nothing from it anymore.

Can I take apart the servo to see what has happened because I think the small motor in the servo is still working, maybe a loose wire or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:07 pm 

Just took the servo apart and it was the motor that appeared to be getting stuck and not spinning like it normally should. Put a small amount of oil on one end and played around for a bit and it seems to be going ok now. Im just hoping it doesnt give in at the nats :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:19 pm 

First thing I would suggest is to not buy any more HiTec servos. I had one completely stop while at a big meeting, all it did with the steering input was get hot, nothing else. Used one in my 1/8 buggy as well, only had it about 6 months, then got out of offroad, so I sold the servo and it promptly failed on the new owner.

I havent used hitec since and haven't had any servo trouble. All I use is futaba digitals now :) It's worth the extra money for a reliable servo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:09 pm 
has too much spare time

Any brand servo can crap out at anytime and I suppose if you've had a bad experience with one brand, you wont use it again. Bit like engines really.

However Hitec have been good for me in the past and thats why I still stick with them. and they aren't as over priced as some other brands thats for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

im biased towards ko servos

over priced and flash as with all these features you will never use

just as well i have never bought a new one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:14 pm 

Looks like il have to find something else. It lasts on the track for about a minute and a half until it gives up. Have put an analog airtronics one in for the time being but will probably have to look into a KO or Futaba digital servo sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:18 pm 

Used Hitecs for over three years in my buggy and never had a problem....I did however replace them eventually (I thought that I may be pushing it a bit using three year old servos at the worlds) with Ace DS1015 servos.....Awesome servo at a very reasonable price......wouldnt reccomend anything else for gas offroad.

Available from all Good hobby stores

P.S. I have seen many people blow up servos in Offroad over the years......mostly due to not setting them up properly in the car......always set your endpoints properly........a high power servo of any brand will fry itself in minutes if you let it stall under load.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:43 am 
is in the 1k club

Gray wrote:
P.S. I have seen many people blow up servos in Offroad over the years......mostly due to not setting them up properly in the car......always set your endpoints properly........a high power servo of any brand will fry itself in minutes if you let it stall under load.

I second that

Even high end servos fail - I had my 1015 destroy a gear the second time it was used (and the end points were set correctly). There is a large gear with a smaller one pressed into it and they parted company.....

I didn't hesitate purchasing a gear set and another whole servo as a spare though. Good servos.

Byron Fuels
Team Psycho